Oscarcrow's Page on FaceBook

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Forged flower and winner of the spoon.



I got some of these copper colored flowers from Bsueboutiques a while back and after cleaning in my workroom a package of these surfaced.

I decided to texture it with a cross peen hammer and then heated it with a torch while watching the surface. As the copper cools it begins to discolor in this case leaving a metallic iridescent color.

After texturing and adding the patina it was time to add the backing piece and a center. I chose to rivet it with a 3/32 copper rivet.

When assembled the tip of the rivet protrudes too much. about 2 thicknesses of playing cards is enough to make a proper head. No more than the diameter of the rivet itself should protrude above the surface.

I chose to use a nail set to set the rivet. It has a concave tip about the diameter of the rivet.

Clipping it off with side cutters gets it ready to round up with a hammer and the nail set.
Four or five taps with a hammer and we have a nice round rivet.




I was ordering some raku from my favorite potter  DG Midkiff better known on Etsy as wondrousstrange. This little woodland fairy matched the color of the copper and so was glued down with E-6000. The next installment I will create a wire bail for this piece.

Now to the winner of the drawing...drum roll please...My daughter picked from the entries and came up with Msjewel. If you will contact me at harrywood1@msn.com with a mailing address I will send you the spoon. Thank you all for entering.

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial .... I really need to learn how to rivet. I don't even know where to start. It really makes a difference in the finished piece. This copper came out really nice, too.

    ReplyDelete